Land Registry Logo

What are title deeds?

To prove ownership of land or property that is not registered, the owner or lender (if there is a mortgage) will have a bundle of documents which would normally show the chain in the line of ownership of the land or property over a number of years.

Note: When registering land or property for the first time the owner must lodge documents showing the chain of ownership going back at least 15 years.

These documents are usually known as title deeds and include various papers such as:

  • conveyances,
  • contacts for sale,
  • wills,
  • mortgages, and  
  • leases, if the land or property is leasehold. 

These are the documents that should be sent to us when registering land or property for the first time.

Missing or destroyed documents

If any or all of the original title deeds for unregistered land or property are missing, or have been destroyed and you are registering land or property for the first time, you will need to send us a statutory declaration or statement of truth, describing when, where, and how the deeds were lost or destroyed. See our guide to lost or destroyed deeds for more details.

Find out more

Where are my deeds kept?

House Price Index

June 2014: 276.6

(Jan 1995 = 100)

Avg. price £172,011 Change:
Monthly 0.0%
Annual 6.4%
Next index: 9.30am, 29 August 2014

Contact us

Our Customer Support team will answer your questions and respond to your requests by email or phone.

Get in touch...
Back to Top
© Crown copyright 2014 Privacy & Cookies Terms & Conditions Sitemap Powered by Squiz Matrix