Read detailed responses to the questions we are most frequently asked about land registration:
- Requesting information from Land Registry
- Ownership of land or property
- Boundary questions
- Registering your property
- Changing details held in the register
- What to do when a property owner dies
- Providing evidence of identity
- Protecting your property from fraud
- Correspondence received from Land Registry
- Property price information
- Our terminology explained
Requesting information from Land Registry
- How can I get a copy of a title register and/or title plan?
- How can I get a copy(ies) of deeds referred to in the register?
- Where are my deeds kept?
- Can you tell me how old my house is?
- What information can I get from Land Registry?
- What does Land Registry do?
- Is all land registered?
Ownership of land/property
- How do I find out who owns a property or piece of land?
- How do I find out if a property or piece of land is registered?
- How do I find out who owned a property or piece of land in the past?
- How can I prove that I own a particular property?
- I am considering investing in land.
- How do I find out who is responsible for a boundary fence, wall or hedge?
- How do I find out where the boundary of my property is?
- Can Land Registry help me resolve a boundary dispute with my neighbour?
Registering your property
- How do I register my property?
- As joint owners, what should we also consider when registering a property?
- Where do I send my registration applications?
- How do I find out about fees for Land Registry services?
Changing your details held in the register
- I am a property owner and I have changed my address. What do I need to do?
- How do I check that my contact address is correct?
- I have changed my name, what do I need to do?
- I have paid off my mortgage, what do I need to do?
- How do I transfer (sell or gift) my registered land or property?
- What forms do I need to use to transfer my property?
- How do I add a person(s) to the title register or remove a person(s) from the title register?
- What do I do if I believe there is an error in my register/registration?
- Why has Land Registry changed my register without my permission?
- What do I do when a property owner dies?
- I am the personal representative of a deceased owner of unregistered land. Do I need to do anything?
- As the personal representative, how and why should I register myself as 'registered owner'?
- How do I register the people who have inherited registered land or property under a will (the beneficiaries)?
- As personal representative or executor, can I transfer to a third party?
- When and why do I need to produce evidence of identity?
- What do I have to do to produce evidence of identity and what do I need to produce?
Protecting your property from fraud
- How can I protect my property from fraud?
- What should I do if I think I have been a victim of fraud?
I have received correspondence from Land Registry
- Why does Land Registry serve a notice?
- What do I do if I receive a notice from Land Registry?
- What is an objection?
- What does 'adjudication' mean?