Environmental policy statement
We recognise that, in carrying out our business functions, we need to minimise the negative effect of our business on the environment. We therefore make the following environmental commitment to:
- comply with all relevant environmental legislation and key government objectives
- prevent pollution from our activities
- continuously review and improve our environmental performance
- integrate sustainability into all business decisions, projects and working practice changes.
In particular, we will achieve these by:
- taking into consideration the environmental impacts of goods and services during the procurement process and engaging with key suppliers in line with sustainable procurement guidelines
- working with our IT equipment providers and internal management to implement the requirements of the Greening Government ICT initiative and thereby delivering change throughout Land Registry
- reducing the relative consumption of utilities and other resources with an emphasis on achieving central government targets relating to sustainability and the achievement of carbon neutral status
- introducing a policy to effectively minimise CO2 emissions from transport by balancing our business needs for efficiency against the environmental impact
- encouraging a shift to more carbon efficient transport alternatives such as the use of video and telephone conferencing
- working with our staff contractors and suppliers to reduce waste being sent to landfill and increasing our overall recycling/re-use in line with government targets.