This information Charter sets out the standards that you can expect from us (Land Registry) when handling and holding personal information.
Types of information
We hold both personal and non-personal information. Holding this information enables us to fulfil our statutory duties, serve customers and meet our obligations as an employer.
The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) provides the statutory framework in relation to personal information. For more details please see our Data Protection Statement.
The Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Environmental Information Regulations 2004 govern what other information we may release as a result of a request for information.
When we handle personal information supplied by you as part of our statutory functions, your rights under the DPA are limited. The DPA permits us to use personal information for these purposes.
Please also see our separate Privacy Statement for details about personal information from our website.
Personal information held for other purposes
For some of our services, the terms and conditions set out what we may do with your information. You should check the terms and conditions for those services. Subject to this, when you supply personal information for purposes outside of our statutory obligations and duties, we will:
- make sure you know why we need it;
- ask only for what we need;
- protect it and ensure that access to it is restricted;
- let you know if we share it with other organisations (unless it is shared for law enforcement purposes);
- make sure we do not keep it longer than necessary.
In return, we ask you to:
- give us accurate information; and
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address.
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date.
You can get more details on:
- how to find out what information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes;
- circumstances where we can pass on your personal information without telling you, for example, to prevent and detect crime or to produce anonymised statistics;
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information and
- how to make a complaint.
For more information please contact:
Data Protection Officer
Land Registry Head Office
1 Bedford Park
(DX8888 Croydon 3)
For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact
The Information Commissioner
Phone: 08456 306060 or 01625 545745
Fax: 01625 524510