Land Registry Logo

Putting things right - how to make a complaint

The majority of your dealings with us will be routine and straightforward, and no problems will arise. However, mistakes and delays can occur from time to time, and sometimes you may feel unhappy with the decisions we have made or the way in which we have dealt with you. Whatever the problem is, we want you to let us know so that we can put matters right, if we can. Also, if we have got something wrong, or if your complaint shows that there is a problem with our procedures or our guidance, receiving your complaint will give us a chance to address this and improve our service for all of our customers.

What we do

We follow standard procedures in dealing with complaints, so you can be sure that we will investigate your complaint fully and fairly. We promise that we will not discriminate against you for any reason and we will be impartial in investigating your complaint. We will also:

  • acknowledge your complaint on the day we receive it,
  • review the complaint thoroughly and aim to give you a full response within five working days,
  • tell you within five working days should we need more time to respond to your complaint, explaining the delay , what we are doing to resolve it and when you can expect to hear from us,
  • deal with you in a polite and courteous manner,
  • give you a contact name and telephone number, and
  • consider whether any form of redress is appropriate.

Our complaints process

Some aspects of our complaint process vary depending on which Land Registry service the complaint is about. If the complaint is about the information held on the register or an application processed by Land Registry, governed by the laws under which we operate, we categorize it as a 'Statutory service' complaint. If, however, the complaint is about the Market Trend data or a commercial service provided by Land Registry, we classify it as a 'Data service' complaint.

You do not need to worry about the type of complaint when you first contact us. When we respond to your complaint, we will also advise you the most appropriate route for your complaint if you still are dissatisfied, depending on how we class the complaint.

First steps

You should contact the person you have been dealing with at the Land Registry office concerned. They will do their best to put things right if they can. You can complain in person, on the phone, in writing (including email) and through our website.

You can find office details for addresses and telephone numbers on this site or you can telephone Customer Support on 0844 892 1111 (for an English-speaking service) or 0844 892 1122 (for a Welsh-speaking service).

If your complaint relates to Market Trend data or commercial services, you can also contact our Commercial Services team by completing an online contact form.

What if I am still unhappy?

On statutory service complaints, if you have contacted the person you have been dealing with and are not happy with their response, please contact the local Customer Service Manager (CSM) at the office concerned. The CSM will look into your complaint and involve other senior managers, where appropriate. Your complaint, and how we have handled it, will be reviewed and you will be given a final response. Depending on the nature of the complaint, our final response may come from the CSM, the Land Registrar (the most senior lawyer at a local office), the Area Manager or another senior manager at the office concerned.

Where the dissatisfaction is about a legal decision, the usual procedure is for the decision to be reviewed by the Land Registrar.  A Land Registrar’s decision is final and can only be challenged in court.  More information and guidance on challenging legal decisions in court can be found on Her Majesty's Courts Service website at

We expect that the Data Service complaints will be resolved by our Commercial Services team.  But if you remain unhappy, please ask the team to pass on your concerns to our Corporate Legal Service (CLS) team. A member of CLS will review your feedback and provide a final response. We will also signpost, in our response, the most appropriate route for your complaint if you still are dissatisfied.

Independent Complaints Reviewer

Once we have given you our final response, we will not normally engage in any further correspondence or contact with you regarding your complaint. Instead, if you remain dissatisfied after this, there is an Independent Complaints Reviewer (ICR) for Land Registry. The ICR’s role is to act as an honest broker in investigating complaints about Land Registry.

If you remain dissatisfied and wish to refer your complaint to the ICR, please be aware they can only consider complaints relating to:

  • failures in Land Registry’s standards of service, or
  • unfair treatment causing unnecessary problems or concerns.

The ICR will usually only investigate complaints that have been through our internal complaints procedure and a final response has been given.

Also, the ICR cannot investigate the following:

  • Complaints challenging legal decisions made by Land Registry based upon the laws under which it operates – although complaints about the way in which decisions are made can be investigated (for example, a Land Registry officer was rude or there was a delay in their handling of the case.
  • Complaints relating to a legal decision being challenged in the courts, or referred to the Land Registration division of the Property Chamber, First-tier Tribunal (an independent tribunal). In these situations, ICR reviews will usually wait for the conclusion of the legal proceedings.
  • Complaints that have been investigated or are under investigation by the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

For more information about the ICR, please visit their website at or contact them:

The Independent Complaints Reviewer,
Dover House (Ground Floor),
66 The Whitehall,

Telephone: 020 7930 0749

Further action

In addition to the ICR, if you remain dissatisfied after your complaint has been fully investigated by Land Registry, you can ask for it to be reviewed externally for a final time. There are two separate procedures for this depending on the nature of service you are complaining about.  

For statutory service complaints

If you are not satisfied with Land Registry’s or the ICR’s handling of your complaint, you can ask an MP to refer your case to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

For more information visit the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman’s website at or contact them:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower,

Telephone: 0345 015 4033.

For Data service complaints

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the review by our CLS, (or where appropriate the ICR) you may contact the Office of Public Sector Information (OPSI) for complaints arising under the Information Fair Trader Scheme or the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations 2005. OPSI may be prepared to investigate the complaint and give an independent assessment of the issues raised.

For more information about OPSI’s complaint procedure, please visit or contact them:

Office of Public Sector Information
Standards Department
102 Petty France,

Telephone: 020 3334 5261

If you remain unhappy, you may contact the Advisory Panel on Public Sector Information (APPSI) for a review of the outcome provided by OPSI. APPSI can be contacted at:

Advisory Panel on Public Sector Information,
Information Policy and Services Directorate,
The National Archives,
Surrey TW9 4DU.

Telephone: 020 8392 5330

For more information about OPSI or APPSI, please visit The National Archives website:

House Price Index

June 2014: 276.6

(Jan 1995 = 100)

Avg. price £172,011 Change:
Monthly 0.0%
Annual 6.4%
Next index: 9.30am, 29 August 2014

Contact us

Our Customer Support team will answer your questions and respond to your requests by email or phone.

Get in touch...
Back to Top
© Crown copyright 2014 Privacy & Cookies Terms & Conditions Sitemap Powered by Squiz Matrix